Thursday, June 18, 2009

Tracy Arm



Yesterday afternoon I took the Tracy Arm tour with Allen Marine. It was great! We saw one humpback whale on the way out. Not only did we see its fluke several times, we saw it breech, lunge feed, and slap the water with one of its pectoral fins. I was really excited, because I had never seen any of that before! Quite the show for one whale.

The trip out was with passengers from the Norwegian Sun. I boarded from the AJ dock in Juneau, through the Nor Sun itself and onto the Cape Aialik. Then the Nor Sun passengers embarked and the tour commenced. Once at Tracy Arm, we approached the Sawyer Glacier as close as was safe. There was a lot of ice in the immediate vicinity (as you can tell in the picture). The Nor Sun met us in the Tracy Arm passage to pick up their passengers, although they were unable to get as close as the Cape. After the passengers disembarked, I helped the boat crew clean a bit and then we had a relaxing trip back to Juneau.

The trip was very scenic, very gorgeous. Although it was a long trip, I am really glad that I went!

The only part of the trip that was not fun was that shortly after we left the Nor Sun in Tracy Arm, the Cape's generator went out and we ran on battery power all the way back to Juneau. Thank goodness we made it safely back. I certainly did not want to spend the night on board! So all the way back, we had no heat and I was freezing cold. I had four layers on, but it still wasn't enough, especially after spending a good amount of time out on the deck in the cold glacier air. But really, it is just one more Alaskan adventure, one more memory.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: